How might the thematic analysis and visual exploration of symbolic language found in Armenian folktales inspire a narrative-driven game aimed at revitalizing the oral tradition through contemporary means?
Aim and Objective
– Design a narrative-driven game with visual language based on found archetypes and symbolism from folktales
– Enable a Participatory co-creative story-crafting experience and empower creative thought and imagination
1. Illustrations: Visualize Armenian archetypal characters and symbolism observed in folk tales
2. Game Instructions: Make up rules of the game that would allow collaborative story creation
3. Process Of Making: Choose a technique to produce the game that is reflective of the tales
I imagined an interactive medium encouraging the practice of storytelling, so that the art of storytelling can be revived, and earn a place in contemporary culture.
The main rule of the game is to create stories by connecting the tiles with each other. The premise is to tell the story of the hero while aiming to either help or distract him. This idea of either being the good guy or the bad guy came from my initial idea of integrating the archetypes of the hero characters from Armenian folktales into the gameplay mechanics. In this case, the good guy bears the archetype of the innocent child, while the bad guy is the trickster.
How has your practice developed while studying the MA in Graphic Design with a global cohort?
I have developed as a designer by dealing with a multitude of different kinds of projects and finding out what I’m drawn to during this course. I have had the chance to learn from talented designers that come from a variety of life paths and backgrounds.
At the end of the course I have found myself in a community of amazing designers and an immense amount of deep understanding about the design discipline that I will be able to apply to each new project I take on! I have definietly become more independent as a designer and my achievements have boosted my confidence!
Please follow this external platform link, to view the Final MA Project in full and/or portfolio documentation.